Monday, April 29, 2019

Bedtime Tails Birthday Edition - Go Humane

On this the 29th of April 2019, I am celebrating my birthday with you - dog owners, dog lovers, and overall lover of all furry ones!  My birthday wish on Bedtime Tails is honoring humane societies nationwide - whether by volunteering, donating, or adopting.

Do you remember the story, Casey at Bat?  In 2011, my mother and I adopted a very young puppy Rat Terrier that I named Casey.  We adopted him from The Anti-Cruelty Society in Chicago, Illinois.  When we brought him home, his little energy was electric.  Our cat, Darby, was not too keen on having a brother...let alone him being a dog.  As a hobby, I research the history and personality types of many different dog breeds and Casey proved true to his.  Rat Terriers are known for chasing after vermin - hence "rat."  Casey saw Darby as a moving target - not a cat.  Sadly, we had to surrender him back to The Anti-Cruelty Society.  We did not have the anticipation and experience requisite to handling a puppy and especially of a breed like Casey's.  My advice to you - match your experience level with the traits of the pup you are interested in adopting, especially if you are a first-time owner.  The ultimate point to this story - we fully supported The Anti-Cruelty Society and always will.

When I was on summer break during one year in high school, I visited family in Hawaii.  My aunt suggested I volunteer at the Kauai Humane Society in Kauai, Hawaii.  I immediately agreed to the idea.  I cleaned the cat cages and doggie kennels.  The best perk?  I got to play with the puppies!  My heart melted with puppy love when I met a Saint Bernard puppy - what a bundle of fur!  And then there was the Golden Retriever litter.  They were as eager to spend time with me as I was with them.  We chased each other around the grassy yard, played with toys, took much needed breaks, and just enjoyed the company.  For every day I volunteered, this was our routine.  At the end of my stay and on return to the mainland, I felt a strong sense of sorrow.  To this day, I miss our playtime and bonding moments.  The Golden Retriever litter will forever have a place in my heart.  The ultimate point to this story - I fully supported the Kauai Humane Society and always will.

Although I am not a dog owner due to regulations in my condominium, two of my cats were adopted at the Naperville Area Humane Society in Naperville, Illinois.  

Darby Hovis - May 2005 (d. September 25, 2018)
Juliet "Jules" Hovis - April 2017

As you can tell, I will always go to the Naperville Area Humane Society for adoption.


"Our mission is to promote the humane treatment of companion animals and create lasting human-animal bonds."

On this the 29th of April 2019, please support the humane society of your choice in what their unique mission is and in any way you can.  

Go Humane

2 comments:

  1. Hey all! The Anti-Cruelty Socities also have cats in many PetSmarts, too. Check them out, figuratively and literally!!! 😌

    ReplyDelete
  2. Humane Societies do indeed have cats and kittens too and are always worth adoption.

    ReplyDelete