Friday, April 27, 2018

Who am I?


"Hello!  Welcome to The Dog House!  How can I help you?"

"Hi.  My name is Rick McKenna.  I called last weekend to arrange for my dog to be boarded here while my family and I travel.  We will be out of town for two weeks."

The receptionist reviewed all notes made last Saturday and found the information sheet for Rick McKenna's request.

"Yes.  Your dog, Loren, will be with us today, May 13th to May 28th.  In your call last weekend, you listed all vitals about Loren for the staff to know.  Is there anything else we should know?"

"Um, I don't think so.  The most important thing to know is that Loren is very shy and nearly withdrawn around strange people and dogs.  Our vet seems to think Loren has an inferiority complex."

The receptionist looked to Loren, who held his head sadly low.  She smiled gently and sympathetically said,

"He will be fine with us.  I will care for him personally.  I'll be his pal while you're away."

Rick McKenna whispered "thank you" and said goodbye to Loren with a reassuring ear scratch.

"It's only two weeks, buddy.  I have to now."

Sadness filled Loren's eyes as Rick left and the strange receptionist took hold of his leash.

"Come on, Loren.  You'll be fine.  I will find a dog buddy for you.  And I am here every day, so you'll never be alone.  Come on."

Loren walked into his kennel home near the end of the back room where all the other boarded dogs stay.  These two weeks would be miserable.  He hoped the time would fly as fast as dog years.

At nine o'clock, the lights switched off, the staff said good night to the dogs and to each other, and all doors locked shut.  The dogs were left alone.

"Hey Sparky.  Check out the new kid.  What kind of dog is he?" Bernie, a Saint Bernard, commented.

"I don't know!  I'm not sleepy, Bernie!  I want to get out and play!  I still have so much energy!  I'm-I'm..."

A howling bark came from near the back room entrance.

"Oh geez, you've got Johnny singing hound talk again, Sparky!  Must you be such a Dalmatian?" asked Tina, a Siberian Husky.

"I'm sorry!  I can't help it!"

"Hey Sparky!  You're scarin' the new kid!" shouted Jack, a black Labrador Retriever.

Soft whispers from Loren's kennel could be heard around the room.

"Are you all right?" asked Michael the Great Dane, in the kennel to Loren's right.

Silence.  Whimpers.

"My name is Michael.  I am twelve years old in human years.  I am a Great Dane.  I am sorry if my size scares you, but that is how we come," spoken with a soft doggy smile.

Silence.

Michael lowered his body to ground eye level with Loren and whispered,

"I don't have friends here.  I can be very shy.  Will you be my buddy?  We go on daily walks here.  You could go with me.  We could play with our toys together.  I will be by your side for as long as you are at The Dog House.  How long is your human pack leaving you?"

Tear-stained eyes met Michael's.

"I-I am here for two weeks," Loren whispered back.

"My family goes to Europe every year at this time.  I expect to go home at the end of May - last weekend of the month."

"Me too."

"Do you want to be May buddies, then?" Michael continued in a whisper.

Loren nodded yes.

Loren slowly came out of his shyness and said,

"My-my name is Loren.  I am four years old in human years.  I don't know what kind of dog I am.  The shelter I was adopted from told my family I am a mix.  I guess that is why I am so quiet and withdrawn - no one knows how to treat me and dogs don't know how to approach me because I am so different.  I don't know who I am."

"I am a purebred.  I have known my identity and true personality all my life.  You are a hybrid, as the humans call it.  Your personality can match either of your parents or both.  No one knows what to expect.  Your personality is unique because you are unique.  So never be shy.  You are a breed worth noticing, worth knowing, worth loving."

"What breed am I, Michael?  Why am I unique?"

"Well, your coat is light in color.  I see a hint of Golden Retriever.  Your coat is wavy.  Maybe part Poodle?  But Golden Retrievers are so big and Poodles are so small and their personalities are not the same at all.  Hmm..."

Loren and Michael whispered in thoughtful conversation the rest of the night, trying to answer the question "who am I."

The next morning, the receptionist for The Dog House entered the back room with a new dog to be boarded.

"Come on, Samantha.  You will love it here while your family is away.  In fact, there is another dog just like you here, two kennels down.  Two Goldendoodles in one weekend.  Go figure!"

Loren's ears perked up and met eyes with Samantha as she passed by.  For the first time in his four years, Loren felt happy.  He finally knew who he is - a Goldendoodle.  He is unique because he is a mix.  And his mix is one to show off, not hide from.  He can feel comfortable and confident around strangers and new dogs because he finally knew -

"I am a Goldendoodle."

No comments:

Post a Comment