Monday, April 30, 2018

Baby the Loyal Companion


Dear Firemen,
Please take care of Baby.  He is one month old and already filled with Dalmatian energy.  Due to personal problems, I can no longer be his human mother.  I will love Baby always.  Goodbye and good luck.


"Baby?  What in the world are we going to do with an infant puppy at a busy fire station?  There is never anyone around long enough with the amount of calls we have been getting lately.  He's a Dalmatian.  Who is gonna train him and keep up with his energy?!"

"Oh Frank, come on.  He is so young.  This person wants us to care for him.  Baby can be our companion dog on rides!  And you and I are always here at the station when we're on duty.  I...I will take him home with me when you're off duty.  Frank, let's keep him."

Frank looked into Joe's eager eyes, into Baby's innocent face tucked cozily in his doggy basket, sighed deeply, and said,

"Welcome to Windsor County Fire Station.  Baby, our companion."

Frank and Joe found Baby at nine o'clock in the morning on a hot Saturday in July.  By the end of their shift 24 hours later, Baby had accompanied Frank and Joe on six rides (all false alarms), never once leaving Joe's side.  When they had any down time at the fire station, Baby was eager to play with Joe and sneak in naps with him.  Baby was happy and loved.  Joe was content and knew he found a life-long companion.  There would be one call, though, that would prove Baby's companion love for Joe.

At nine o'clock the following Sunday morning, Joe packed up Baby and his belongings and said goodbye to Frank.  Joe planned to stop by the local pet store to buy food and supplies for Baby before heading home to a delicious breakfast always made by, well, him.  As he pulled into the parking lot of Breed's Place, Joe noticed several people being turned away at the front door.

"Hmm.  That's odd.  Breed's Place is always so popular and crowded when I drive past.  I wonder what's going on?  Come on Baby.  It's too hot to leave you in the car, even with the windows rolled down.  I will have to carry you until I get a leash and harness."

When Joe and Baby reached the front entrance, a guard stopped him.

"Sir, I can't let you in.  Someone reported the smell of smoke.  All those inside have left and those coming in must be turned away until..."

In the near distance, loud fire truck engines could be heard.

"Well, I'm a fireman.  I just got off duty.  Is there any way I can help?"

"What station are you with?" the guard asked cautiously.

"Windsor County."

"I am familiar with Windsor County.  Okay.  Well, the person who reported the emergency said the scent seemed to be coming from the employee break room.  Can you investigate?"

"Of course.  I expect back-up soon anyway," the engines were down the street.  "Come on, Baby.  Another 'ride'."

"No sir.  Your dog can't go..."

"He has been on every call with me on my last shift.  He is coming with me.  Now please excuse me!  I have to get inside and investigate."

The guard hesitated as he let Joe in with Baby.

Joe and Baby raced through the maze that is Breed's Place until they found a door marked "Break Room - Staff Only."  Joe gently touched the closed door.  It was hot.  He looked down to the floor.  Smoke was starting to drift out...and back in.

"Oh gosh.  It's a...Baby!  We have to get out of here now!"

Joe held Baby tighter in his arms and bolted.

BOOM!


Several hours later, Joe woke up in a fog.

"Where - Where am I?"

"You are in the hospital, Joe.  It's me, Frank.  You just missed being burned by the back draft at Breed's Place, but you were injured pretty bad.  Windsor County's shift after us saved you and Baby in the nick of time."

"Baby.  Where - Where's Baby?  Is he all right?"

"Baby has a few injuries and is staying the night at Pawfive Vet Clinic.  I checked in before coming here.  The staff at Pawfive says Baby is doing well and is back to being his energetic self.  The staff also says he misses you.  Baby loves you, Joe.  You saved his life by not letting go of him.  He saved you when his barks led the fire fighters to you where you fell near the front of the store.  Baby truly is your loyal companion."

Joe softly smiled and fell back to sleep.


One week later, Joe was able to leave the hospital.  Frank drove him home.

"There is just one quick stop I need to make, Joe."

Joe nodded okay.

Frank drove toward Huxley Street where Windsor County Fire Station was located.

"Frank, why are we going to the station..."

And there he was - tail flying back and forth, barking excitedly, grinning from ear to ear the way only a happy puppy could.  Joe was coming home!

"Baby!  Baby, I love you!"

Joe scratched Baby's ears and smiled just as happily as he saw his firehouse Dalmatian's eyes asking,

'When is our next ride?'

No comments:

Post a Comment