Monday, March 4, 2019

Scottie Christmas


Dear Santa,

As you know, I am now ten years old and am in the fifth grade.  My writing is much better since you last read a note from me.  When I was six years old, I wished for a Cocker Spaniel puppy.  I will always remember that holiday year because you made my wish come true.  I named her Lucy and she is my best friend.  My Christmas wish this year is a Scottish Terrier to be Lucy's doggie friend.  I would like a Scottish Terrier because my new favorite movie is called "Scottie to the Rescue!".  Lucy is sometimes sad because she does not have a doggie friend to play with now that she is a little bit older.  I would like a Scottie to come to the rescue and cheer her up.  Please make my wish come true, Santa.

Thank you!

Sammy


Knock, Knock

"Come in!" Sammy called out as he finished practicing his cursive signature on the very important letter to Santa.  This letter would be his last because although Sammy could always believe in Santa, he simply was too old to write to Santa.

"Sammy, it's time for bed," said Sammy's dad.

"Okay.  Can I go downstairs to leave my note to Santa with the plate of cookies?"

"All right, but hurry up.  Santa is very busy on this Christmas Eve."

Sammy dashed out of his bedroom, raced down the stairs, and for the last time placed his letter to Santa Claus next to a delicious plate of chocolate cookies he always tempted to take.  "Those cookies are for Santa!" was the shout from Sammy's parents every year.

Once back in bed, Sammy's dad tucked him into his dog-themed bed sheet and comforter - a love that would never get old.

"Have I been good boy this year, Dad?"

"You are always good, my little Sam.  Now go to sleep."


The time was nearly midnight.  Sammy was fast asleep.  Gentle snow fell outside.  Sparkling Christmas lights twinkled in every home and in every front yard.  Peaceful silence.

Until there arose such a clatter - a noise he knew of once before...when he was six years old and met Santa.  Is Santa here again?

Sammy quietly got out of bed and opened his bedroom door, slowly walked down the staircase, and gasped a bit too loud.

"Well hello again, Sammy.  How are you?"

"I - I'm okay."

"I read your letter, Sammy.  Your handwriting and spelling are excellent!"

"Thank you, Santa!  I know I made a lot of mistakes with my last letter."

Santa lightly laughed and said,

"That is okay.  You were just learning."

"Santa, I have to tell you something."

"What's up?"

"Well, I cannot write to you anymore.  My mom and dad said that I am getting too old to write letters at Christmas time."

"Sammy, I will always be with you in spirit.  You never have to feel sorry for not writing to me...In fact, do you see that round, blue and white striped box?"

Just like Lucy, Sammy excitedly thought to himself as he dashed to the mysteriously moving box.

"It's a Scottish Terrier puppy!"

Goodbye, Sammy.  You will always be a good boy.

Santa magically disappeared for the last time he would visit and honor Sammy's Christmas wish.


When she heard a happy bark coming from downstairs, Lucy ran down to see a new addition to the family.  She would have a doggie friend!

"Lucy, what do you think of Scottie?"

Lucy happily barked.

Sammy, Lucy, and Scottie played for a long time until they all fell asleep as the sun rose on the best Christmas Sammy would ever have.



No comments:

Post a Comment