Monday, April 23, 2018

The Ugly Bulldog


Saturday began with peaceful April showers.  Annie loved spring rain, especially when pitter patter drops fell on her birthday.  Today, as the tulips blossomed in her family's garden, her new year bloomed beautifully, too.

"Good morning, birthday girl," Annie's mom spoke with a warm smile as she delivered the traditional breakfast-in-bed to the birthday girl who was already up and dressed.

"Mommy!  I am ten years old today!  You said that when I am ten, I can pick out a special gift.  I know what I want my gift to be!"

"Miss Annie!  If I had known you were going to be so full of hyper energy, I would not have added extra powdered sugar and chocolate chips to your favorite birthday waffles!"

"I'm not hungry, Mom.  Can we go shopping on Main Street for my special gift?"

"Main Street, huh?  Thee place to shop in Redland.  You are now ten and you were promised a special gift.  Okay, tell you what.  Your father is busy confirming the clown to be at your party tomorrow afternoon and he is watching your little brother.  Why don't you and I get lost in glamorous shops all day today...and it seems the rain is slowing.  We won't need our ducky umbrellas, but wear your raincoat just in case!" Annie's mom shouted to her daughter not paying attention.

"I'm ten!  I'm ten!  I'm ten!" Annie exclaimed as she bounced all the way to the family minivan.

"With that excitement you won't need a clown!" Annie's mom laughed to herself as she quickly headed for the kitchen to put away the birthday meal and get to the garage.

The sky was still damp and gray as Annie and her mom strolled down Main Street.  They passed an Apple store ("I will get you an iPod  for your sixteenth birthday).  They passed a Gap store ("I don't need any more clothes this year").  They passed an Ann Taylor store ("Too young" spoken by both at the same time).  They passed a Barnes & Noble ("Your bedroom is stuffed with books from Barnes & Noble.  Let's come back at Christmas for a holiday gift.").  They passed Annie's favorite Ruby Toys & Company.  They passed Annie's mom's favorite Cobalt Music Records.  Yet by lunchtime, Annie still hadn't answered her mother's question, "What is your special gift?".  A few blocks north of downtown on Main Street, Annie smiled and said, "One of them."

They stood before Grandpa's House - a take-in for puppies and dogs unable to be cared for at Redland Animal Shelter.  Adorable puppy faces with smiling eyes and floppy ears pressed themselves against the window, wagging tails to be sure.  One crate on either side of the open door was filled with younger puppies eager to be adopted.  A Golden Retriever as golden as Annie's hair.  A black Newfoundland as dark as Annie's dad's mustache.  A Parson Terrier as hyper as Annie today.  A Miniature Poodle as baby-like as Annie's four-month-old brother.  A German Shepherd as protective of its small space and only toy as Annie's mom is of her family.

"Can I, Mom?  Can I have one of them?"

"Well...they are so cute.  Oh all right."

Annie raced inside to look at both crates.  One puppy caught her attention.  It wasn't cute or adorable or cuddly.  It wasn't pleasing to the eye at all with its bat-like ears, its unusually-shaped head, its big (and wide-set eyes).  It wasn't eager for attention.  It didn't look special because it didn't feel special.  Who would love this puppy?

"Excuse me, Sir, but what kind of dog is this?" asked Annie.

"Why that is Billy!  He is a French Bulldog, three months old.  He isn't popular.  Nearly everyone who comes in whispers to me that they think he is ugly."

"An ugly bulldog?  That is so sad," Annie's mom said with a frown.

"He comes around when he gets a belly rub.  My staff calls him Billy the Clown because he goes crazy with just one stroke to his little belly.  Do you like clowns, dear?"

"I love clowns!  Today is my tenth birthday and tomorrow I am having a party with a clown!"

"Happy Birthday, then!  Would you  like a puppy as a present?  My treat for the big ten."

Annie's eyes lit up with excitement at the store owner's kind offer and turned back to the crates to find the perfect puppy.

"My daughter just said outside that a puppy will be her special gift this year.  Honey, which adorable little one would you like to adopt and bring home?"

Annie was not paying attention.  She felt sad for Billy being called ugly and was giggling at Billy's goofiness to her rubbing his belly.  His big eyes lit up.  His ears stood alert.  His tail was wagging eagerly and happily.  He was a clown.  He was cute.  Billy was one to love.

"Honey?"

"Huh?" Annie half-way asked.

"Do you know which puppy you want?"

"If you don't mind me saying, Ma'am, I think your birthday girl has taken a liking to the 'ugly bulldog'."

"Yes.  Yes she has.  Okay, we will adopt him.  What do you charge?"

"Billy is on me.  I do request donations in any amount to support care of all animals here and at Redland Animal Shelter.  Their adoption into loving and forever homes means more than money."

Annie's mother smiled and said,

"Sweet sentiments that are so true.  I will definitely donate."

After picking out a temporary carrier and receiving warm goodbyes to Billy from the staff, Annie and her mom and Billy left Grandpa's House with happy smiles that were sure to last for years to come.

"Annie, look up. b The sun has come out!  No more rain!"

"No more rain.  Only a beautiful sun, just like Billy."

No comments:

Post a Comment